Mainly society is male dominated resulting in all kinds of discriminatory practices, female foeticide, infanticide, unbearable dowry torture, atrocities etc. These all can be dealt by various measures ranging from awareness, education, monitoring, empowerment and enforcement of laws.
Campaign Against Gender Discrimination, Sex-Selective Practices and Female Foeticide
The principle of gender equality is enshrined in the Indian Constitution in its preamble, fundamental rights, fundamental duties and directive principles. The constitution not only guarantees equality but also empowers the state to adopt positive measures to stop discrimination.
MPVHA implemented a project on “Creating Concern Against Gender Discrimination, Sex-Selective Practices and Female Foeticide” in Datia, Morena, Bhind, Guna and Sheopur districts during the period 2001 to 2005 with support of Terre des Hommes (G) I.P. The goal of the project was ‘Creating Concern and Developing a Strong Network of Voluntary Organizations, Government Institutions and Concerned Individuals who can act as deterrent against Sex Selection Practices.
Objectives of the Project
- To sensitize and upgrade representatives from NGOs, concerned government departments and agencies, media personnel on serious implications of Sex Selective Practices.
- To create a network of voluntary organizations and strengthen the movement on the issue.
- To develop a cadre of sensitive individuals/NGO representatives on the issue and laws related to women/girl child, who will be trainers/implementers of programmes at grass-root level.
- To generate mass awareness at grass-root level on the issue with specific groups like women SHGs, adolescents, social/religious groups, PRIs etc.
- To sensitize masses and create pressure environment through intensive campaign activities focusing on girls and promote implementation of PNDT Act.
- To build a legal support system for girls who are victims of violence.
- To monitor and evaluate all the project activities regularly to ensure effectiveness.
- To conduct research/study in the project area related to issue.
The project was further extended up to the year 2008 and entitled as “Campaign Against Gender Discrimination and Female Foeticide”. Besides continuing the objectives of the first phase of the project other objectives added were to form Active PC&PNDT Committees at district level to effectively implement PC&PNDT Act and build support system for girls and women to fight discrimination and violence.
- Advisory committee reorganized and strengthened.
- Monitoring team formed in various districts and monitoring process strengthened.